Search This Blog

Friday 21 September 2012

Tough at the TOB

The Tour of Britain came through my local town of Kendal, up here on the edge of the Lake District, just a few weeks ago. I knew it was coming of course. Cycling has been "flavour of the month" in the wake of the Olympics.
I don't get much opportunity to shoot road racing, which is a pity because I love watching it on telly. Shooting it live is challenging and quite a buzz. These guys don't hang about and you have to be right on your game to catch the moments and create something worthwhile.


Unfortunately, the peloton would be whizzing past on a day that I was really busy, even though I would be in Kendal and I was desperately juggling stuff to try and grab some free time. As luck would have it the timings had a bunch sprint through Kendal at 12.40pm - lunch time! I had a slim window of opportunity.

Naturally the weather was rubbish! Last year, I actually had a press pass for the Kendal-to-Blackpool stage and you know what happened? A hurricane happened, that's what! Stage called off, too windy, parade lap around Kendal and that was that. I managed a reasonable portrait of Cav but nothing much else - I could have spat!...

So this year, we got c**p weather but at least they were riding. I legged it out the meeting I was in, jogged up to the sprint finish line (along with everyone else) and huddled against the rain. With no chance to plan much and no second bite at this I knew I would have to decide on the shot I was going to do and stick with it. The whole peloton is past you in about 3 minutes flat so you don't get much chance to shoot angles and no chance to change location.

I couldn't decide what lens to shoot with. Do I go with a wide angle and try and get close or stick with the telephoto and isolate a front rider? I don't know - what would you do? I went with telephoto in the end and chose to concentrate on the front rider because it was I standing at one of the many sprint lines on the tour. Maybe there would be a scrap for the line and the points. So maybe I'd get some action rather than just a bunch of riders huddled together against the rain in their jackets. Naturally I bolted on a flash.
So, there I was, with a D700, a 28-300VRll and an SB800 hoping the sprint would happen on my side of the road. I dialled in 1/500th at f5.6, high speed sync, flash at -2/3rds fec, low speed continuous shooting (no point in high speed - the flash won't keep up), and matrix metering - and here they come round the corner.

S**t - they're not on my side!
There's a couple of riders clear but they're not really sprinting.
And now there's loads of marshals on the other side all wearing reflective jackets with day-glo stripes that will flare in the flash - great - it's all going wrong! The lens is struggling to keep up with focus - too slow - I get one shot and it's all over the place.

You want to see what I got? Here it is...

I mean look at that background! What was I thinking. The only way to rescue this is to go arty monotone. And that was that.

What have I learned?
I'm still thinking about that - I'll let you know when I've calmed down and had time to err...reflect!





No comments:

Post a Comment